Tuesday 24 March 2015

Emotions & Teaching & My Top 10 List of Comments to New Students

Since I first turned pro back in 1978, my teaching has astonished many and received positive compliments. After conducting hundreds of seminars and clinics all over the country, I have found that many of my riders have come at first into the training pen completely petrified of me!
Here are my  top 10 comments to riders:
1. I don't kick or bite or wield a lunge whip. I am human, and not a dressage queen. I am here to help you learn.
2. I will not show emotion to you or your horse. I do not believe that riders need to be yelled at to learn. If you believe that, then you must enjoy it. I don't.
3. If I cannot convey my comments or wishes in a normal tone of voice, then I should not be teaching.
4. I will not be-little you. That is uncalled for and disgusts me that anyone teaching should even attempt to stoop so low.
5. If you do not understand my conveyance to you, please ask. There are many roads to Rome and I have more than plan A in my back pocket.
6. If I explain something and you don't understand, please ask me to. Theory is key to learning skills correctly.
7. I will not ask you to do any more than you are capable of. If I get wrapped up and you need a break, just stop. I don't need to be calling 911. My cell phone does not work in all areas of Canada. :)
8. There is never a dumb question, and definitely never a dumb answer.
9. We are all in this for the enjoyment of the horse and for the education of you and your equine partner. I am not a serious person. We have fun and let's keep it that way. My students are National and World Champions and never needed to develop a stuck up attitude to do so well.
10. Do not impress me with your book smarts, and show me what you are capable of with your horse.
I do not pass judgement to a rider until I have seen you ride.

Many years ago I had the honour to learn from a man called General Albert Stecken. He was a great dressage trainer from Germany who had riders on the Olympic and World teams back in the 70's and 80's. This man inspired me to teach the way I do. As a student,  I have been yelled at, ridiculed and generally had every emotion known hurled at me from back yard wannabe coaches to Olympic Champions that have taught me.  While riding with General Stecken, I stopped and asked him a very life changing question. "Why is it when you teach me General, you do not yell at me?" He answered "My dear, an instructor who shouts at his students is only showing signs of his own weakness". I have lived by that statement for 34 years! I vowed never to yell at a student or become emotional. If I cannot convey my wishes to a rider in a normal voice, then I should never have become a riding teacher. I better know the answers!
I am proud of my riders and thrilled with the results that I have achieved with my riders. I do not assume anything and take each horse and rider at face value. I do not have visions of grandeur, but only wish that my riders and horses improve at a slow and steady pace. After all, riding is the sport of millimetres!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful sentiments. You are enjoyable to have a lesson with. Learning really only takes place when students can be comfortable with the coach.

    ReplyDelete